Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Motivation

Any good ideas out there for getting a 3 year old to do their "chores?" (i.e. getting dressed, putting clothes away, emptying the utensils, etc.)

1, 2, 3 Magic tends to work for negative behavior.

But how do you motivate your kids to do good things?! I was thinking of a chore chart with stickers. . . .

If any of you have already blogged about this can you give me the link to that post?

Danke!

Here's a fun pic E clicked one night as B and I were both "checking our email." I know--I look super excited don't I? B's email consists of plunking on Word on the retired lap top that moves at about 1 word per minute. But she's super into it and I'm glad it makes her happy.

3 comments:

Trisha said...

I am reading a book called, "Beyond Time Out:From Chaos to Calm." I think it's going to be life changing for our family, but I haven't gotten to the meaty part yet! I'll let you know how it goes!
Connor has the same problem. He's really good about the counting when it comes to naughty stuff, but he takes forever to get dressed, etc.!

Summer Navarrete said...

We tried the chore chart but weren't consistent. it became an issue in its self. I now announce the privileged she will receive, which I know she wants, before I request the action. and if she wont do what I ask she just misses out. It seems to work for now. Much better then trying to force panties on a girl who is very willful. (I was getting into physical struggles of will over putting shoes on so now if she won't do it we leave the house carrying shoes. it only took a few days in the snow to figure out to get shoes on fast.)
I also use a timer and say we have ____ min. til bed If you do such and such fast we will have more time for books/ Dora/ dollies/ whatever. It seems to help some days.

Stacey said...

I kind of agree with your friend. I'm rubbish at keeping up with charts. Maybe download some songs she loves and attach certain routines to certain songs. By the time the song's done, she needs to be done, too? Maybe even let her choose the different songs she does things to each week?